Creating Magic in Digital Spaces
EmBARK on a journey as Agent Pug to hunt down dirty internet scammers for the FBI.
Agent Pug was part of a 48hr game jam hosted by Seattle Indies. Under the theme of “This Isn’t Scam” I paired up with programmers, Zuoming Shi and James Lee Gibbs, and writer Pierson Stone to create a video game from scratch. It was the most thrilling and exciting experience that I took part in all summer.
Except for Pierson, I didn’t know a single person at the event, but I was lucky to have joined a great team. The night started with a white boarding session of what was possible to achieve and what wasn’t in the tight time frame. It came down to a text based game to optimize our writer’s skills, while the rest of us simultaneously created visuals and programed. We also white boarded about which screens and functions our game needed and dived into the user’s experience.
After a night of sleep, I compiled wireframes and a mood board to present to my team that mimicked the tone and style of the game. As a team, we approved the wireframes, based on function and storytelling, then it was my job to create a cohesive art direction that matched our humorous writing. Wireframing the screens really helped speed up the production of creating the final artwork.
Time started to slip fast from us, but my team worked effortlessly together. A cloud filing system was created for the devs to pull final images and UI from. I managed my Photoshop layers and chose a pixel style that could scale at any size. Our writer was set up with a template structure that the programmers could directly plug into the program and our programmers created a Trello to stay on top of progress and bugs. With our organization system and communication skills we were able to finish the game on time!
There were some bumps in the road with creating our first game. One for certain was not clearly explaining the gameplay to the player. We relied too much on what we knew internally and not what we were telling the player. At this point we were deep into the last few hour, but we stayed flexible and came up with a solution that was possible to implement with limited user testing. I learned to stay loose and flexible when problems like these arose.